Lorenzo Cain is one of the best hitters in the FA market. It’s a wonder he’s still unsigned.
It would be hard to say that this offseason has been frequently newsworthy. Also, everything has gone at a sluggish pace going into Opening Day. With that said, there are always rumors flying around or reports of something. There are still free agents that can make an impact on the market. With that said, a major one is outfielder Lorenzo Cain.
The former Kansas City Royal hasn’t been a frequent flyer in the speculation department. On Wednesday, Cain must have given out messages to teams that were out of the running on him, according to Jon Heyman.
“Lorenzo Cain has begun informing some teams they are out of consideration. unclear exactly how close he is to a final call, though, as he’s believed to be weighing a variety of offers.”
So, we do know a little bit more about the situation. But, specific teams are hard to come by. Logical fits such as the Rangers, Mets and Giants are all likely in the running for his services. The only red flags with him on a long-term deal is his age (31 but 32 during the second week of April), and the fact that teams will need to surrender a draft pick.
Cain provides a potent bat and a veteran presence to boot. Apparently, he has four-year offers on the table. Last year, the outfielder hit .300 with 15 home runs and 49 RBI. His projection for 2018 is a .288 BA with 15 homers and 64 RBI. Also, he has decent speed as he stole 26 bases last year. He was worth $32.7 million dollars. He certainly isn’t going to get that per year, but $18-20 per isn’t far off.
Overall, Lorenzo Cain seems to be narrowing down his suitors and should have a decision soon.